Sunday, April 13, 2014

Welcome to the World!

Welcome to Earth life, little Moriah Wight! Born April 3 at 9:05 am, weighing 7 lbs 12 oz, 20 1/2 inches long.



Details:
I went to my stress test on Wednesday (the 2nd) expecting not to have any issues- I hadn't for the previous 4 sessions. I had even been in a hurry to get to my appointment so I only had some poptarts for breakfast, anticipating a large lunch at the cafe at the hospital after my appointment. The nurse came in when I was about done and said that the baby's heartbeat was doing things that were worrisome. Since I was already at 39 weeks the doctor decided that they would just induce me that day. The nurse walked me down to labor and delivery (making it so that I couldn't eat my lunch). This was around noon. The tech came in a little while later with my ice chips and suckers- the only things I was going to be allowed to eat until the baby was born. The entire floor was full, and I waited 2 hours to be transferred to a different room, soon after which they started me on pitocin. I was still dilated to a 1 at this point in time. From then on it was just a waiting game. I sat and watched tv or slept til Spencer came from work around 4, and then we watched tv together. I was determined to go naturally without an epidural (not only because it's expensive, but because the thought of a needle coming that close to my spinal cord scared me). Up til 9:30 that night I had only progressed to a 2, and my doctor broke my water at that point, hoping I would progress faster that way. Since I was progressing so slowly I told Spencer he could go to his soccer game. He thought once my water was broken I would go faster so he skipped the second game and came and hung out with me. My mom showed up around 11:30 that night and we all hung out together for a long while. The nurse came in again at 3 to check me and I was still only dilated to a 3 plus, and my contractions were getting to the point where I couldn't stand them. I had tried all sorts of positions trying to stay comfortable but most of the positions I found comfortable were not allowed because the monitors wouldn't stay on. My nurse explained that it traditionally takes an hour per centimeter after reaching 4, which wasn't happening. Once I found this out my patience was waning fast. I quickly decided that an epidural would be preferable to trying to endure the contractions the way they were for that much longer, and I was already exhausted, so I opted for the epidural. After that I slept until 7:30 and I was dilated to a 9 plus, and my nurse told me I would start pushing in an hour, and she started to set up the room. I started pushing, stopped for a little while, then started again once my doctor showed up. Less than 10 minutes later Moriah was born.


Flowers and a balloon from Grandma L.

Although I doubt any of them will ever see this, I would like to thank the doctors and the nurses that helped us out. They were all extremely incredible and helpful! I actually miss being there and being able to associate with such wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment